2024 SCARF SEASON RESPONSE PROGRAMME
Our response programme has been offering early career actors the chance to perform exciting original short plays since 2019. We are delighted to be offering further opportunities for actors in 3 new response productions between February and April 2024.
Who's it for? Emerging and early career actors aged 18 and over. We are especially interested to hear from people who identify as LGBTQ+, consider themselves part of the global majority, have experienced racism, are deaf, disabled or neurodiverse, or who are from working class backgrounds.
Is it paid?
Yes! Each actor will receive a fee of £660
How does it work?
1. We are recruiting emerging actors to perform in productions of new 15-minute plays, matching them with emerging directors from the North East region.
2. Each play will respond to one of the main productions in our programme (listed below) and will have been selected from submissions to our Response Writing competition. (Find out more about the competition here)
3. Actors will read a shortlist of maximum 3 scripts at 10am on the first day of rehearsals, with their director and a mentor, choosing the final script. They will then have a week to stage the play, working with their cast in our rehearsal space.
4. Support will be provided by a mentor (Martin Hylton, Louie Ingham, Paula Penman or Ben Dickenson) to help the director and actors get the show ready for a professional off-book performance.
5. The play will be performed immediately after the main production for 3 nights (Tuesday to Thursday) during the last week of its run (dates below).
How do I get involved? To be considered for this opportunity we would like you to join an audition on 7th February 2024. This will involve a 2 hour workshop with our mentors and potential response production directors. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest, stating whether morning or afternoon is better for you on that date.
Please tell us why you’re interested in this opportunity, a little about your background, and include a short description of your experience to date – we’re not looking for you to have lots of credits, we just want to know a bit about you.
Please note, this is a fresh round of open auditions so do contact us again if you have been in touch about previous response opportunities. However, we will prioritise actors we have not seen before when scheduling these auditions.
When is it? There are 3 separate Response Programme productions - please tell us which of these you are available for when you get in touch to express your interest in the open audition. You will need to be available 10am to 6pm on each rehearsal day, for at least 3 hours on tech day, and from 6pm to 10pm on performance days.
Production dates are:
1. . In response to Disco Pigs
Rehearsals will be Monday 26th February to Saturday 2nd March, with tech on Monday 4th March. Performances will take place after the main show on 5th, 6th and 7th March.
2. In response to Imaginary Fields
Rehearsals will be Monday 25th March to Saturday 30th March with tech on Monday 1st April. Performances will take place after the main show on 2nd, 3rd and 4th April.
3. In response to Hope is a 4 letter word
Rehearsals will be Monday 22nd April to Saturday 27th April, with tech on Monday 29th April. Performances will take place after the main show on 30th April, 1st May and 2nd May.